Since 1997, The Chinese Academy (TCA) has worked in Partnership with the Calgary Board of Education (CBE) to offer Chinese language instruction in Mandarin and Cantonese this allows IB students from CBE schools to pursue Chinese language studies. TCA is the only school in Calgary that supports these courses:
- Chinese B – Mandarin SL
- Chinese B – Cantonese SL
- Mandarin Ab initio SL
Students can receive up to 25 language credits toward their Alberta High School Diploma. For students who would like more credits for their High School Diplomas, TCA offers Chinese 10, 20, 30 (Mandarin) and Chinese 15, 25, 35 (Cantonese) on Saturdays, as well as Independent Studies courses.
Chinese IB Program Logistics:
- TCA offers Mandarin and Cantonese IB courses to students in five CBE high schools that offer IB programs. They are Sir Winston Churchill, John G. Diefenbaker, Western Canada, Henry Wise Wood and Lester B. Pearson High School.
- Students who would like to take the above courses must get permission from their home schools to take Mandarin/Cantonese IB at TCA. Students who would like to withdraw from Chinese courses must also get permission from their home schools.
- The CBE high schools send their approved lists of new IB students to TCA by email.
- TCA is a Saturday school and according to Alberta Education, we provide a minimum of 80 hours of instruction per 5-credit course.With the new Chinese IB curriculum which is more intense than the previous one, TCA requires students to take Grade 10 Honours Chinese in their grade 10 year, so the students may be better prepared for the Chinese IB examinations. Students who are considering taking Chinese IB please contact TCA before they start grade 10 so we can place them accordingly.
- Students make an appointment with TCA for entry assessment and registration by calling or emailing TCA. TCA is in charge of student placement in our school. Students will not be moved for personal or scheduling preference.
- At TCA, a student pays about $200 tuition fee and about $100 for resource fee per course.Grade 12 students pay an additional graduation fee of $30.
- Students register and pay for the Chinese IB exam in their grade 12 year at their home schools. During their grade 12 year, students will take their Chinese IB exam. TCA will work with the high schools’ IB coordinators as to the dates of all IB exams.
- Internal Assessment
Oral exam for Language B and for Mandarin Ab initio before March at TCA. Results and comments will be forwarded to their home schools.
- External Assessment
(i) Written Assignments in February at TCA. Results will be forwarded to their home schools.
(ii) Students will take their IB Chinese written exam portion: Paper 1 and Paper 2 (for Language B and for Mandarin Ab initio) in May at their home schools.
- The IB Coordinators from the five CBE IB schools will send to TCA their students’ marks in the following September for proof of refund.
- For CBE IB students only, upon successful completion of the Chinese IB courses and passing the Chinese IB exam, an amount of up to $200 tuition fee per IB course per year will be refunded to each student (maximum $400). Students will submit their tuition receipts and Chinese IB mark to TCA for refund in the same calendar year as the IB exam. There will be NO refund after that calendar year.
We thank the CBE, the principals and staff of the five IB schools for their partnership and support.
IB Tuition fee Refund